Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mom Jeans (insert shudder here)

I'm 14. My mother drags me into a terribly cheap junior's store in the mall and begins shopping. For herself. I believe the trip was the result of me complaining about her hideous overalls, but it ended in near tears as I tried to convince her those terrible bellbottom faded juniors jeans were just NOT ok. Fail. She purchased them. Then, to make matters worse, she took to her weekly column in our hometown paper to detail the entire train wreck, laughing at her daughter (me) for insisting she dress like a mother. Then and there, I swore I would dress like a mom, when and if I were to become one.

Flash forward 10 years. I am, in fact, a mother. What, exactly, is a young mom to wear in 2011? There must be a comfortable, happy place somewhere in there, nestled somewhere between matronly mom and juniors. Trying to find that place while dealing with a post-baby body is a struggle I am nearly positive all new moms face. Why am I sure? Well, for one, I am a religious follower of Ain't No Mom Jeans where they tackle this topic daily.

My youngest is now 7 weeks and as I tackle the "what could possibly fit and yet look put together and hip" challenge in my closet daily, I trek back to the computer to see what the ladies over there have came up with. Today, I went through some of last year's photo's for inspiration for myself and to contribute to their linked up contest. Here are a few I found:






The skirt in the first photo sits high enough on the waist to cover up any belly you might be working off (or the new one growing underneath) while the casual layers make it ok for the zoo. Same thing in the second. Fitted layers under a flowy sweater.

And of course, always accessorize with an adorable toddler.

For more mom style ideas, see Ain't No Mom Jeans' Mom Street Syle Linkup!

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud when I read this. I remember your mother's HIDEOUS overalls. I also remember my struggle w/ trying to figure what to wear... Inside, I promise I am still young, not as young as you, not as old as I am or as I look. There MUST be a balance- but definitely NOT any overalls.

    ReplyDelete